THE TOUR MAP: Screening Locations from September 2014 through July 2016
Saturday 3/7, 11:30 AM: THE CARMIKE DIGIPLEX in SURPRISE, AZ
13649 North Litchfield Road, Surprise, AZ 85379. (623) 584-3838.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 3/8, 11:00 AM: THE B&B MESA GATEWAY 12 in MESA, AZ
1935 South Signal Butte Road, Mesa, AZ 85209. (480) 354-8030.BUY TICKETS
Monday 3/9, 7:00 PM: THE LOFT CINEMA in TUCSON, AZ
3233 East Speedway Boulevard, Tucson, AZ 85716. (520) 795-0844.BUY TICKETS
Tuesday 3/10, 7:30 PM: THE FOUNTAIN THEATRE in LAS CRUCES, NM
2469 Calle De Guadalupe, Las Cruces, NM 88005. (575) 524-8287.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 3/12, 7 PM: PREMIER CINEMA in RIO RANCHO, NM
1000 Premier Parkway SouthEast, Rio Rancho, NM 87124. (505) 994-3300.BUY TICKETS
Friday 3/13 , 6:00 PM AND Saturday 3/14, 2:00 & 7:00 PM: JEAN COCTEAU CINEMA in SANTA FE, NM
418 Montezuma Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501. (505) 466-5528.BUY TICKETS: SELECT DATE FROM CALENDAR
Sunday 3/15, 11:00 AM: SOUTH POINT HOTEL & CASINO CINEMARK in LAS VEGAS, NV
9777 Las Vegas Blvd South, Las Vegas, NV 89183. (702) 796-7111.BUY TICKETS
Monday 3/16, 7:00 pm: MOVIES HAVASU in LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ
180 Swanson Avenue, Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403. (928) 453-7900.BUY TICKETS
Tuesday 3/17, 7:00 pm: ELKO CINEMAS 6 in ELKO, NV
1145 Connolly Dr, Elko, NV 89801. (775) 738-5214.BUY TICKETS
Wednesday 3/18, 7:00 pm: STADIUM 4 CINEMA in CARSON CITY, NV
2571 N Carson St, Carson City, NV 89706. (775) 841-7469.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 4/2, 7:30 PM: ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE WESTLAKES in SAN ANTONIO, TX
1255 SouthWest Loop 410, San Antonio, TX 78227. (210) 677-8500.BUY TICKETS
Friday 4/3, 7:00 (SOLD OUT) & 10:00 PM: ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE LAKELINE in AUSTIN, TX
14028 US 183, Austin TX. (512) 861-7070. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 4/4, 6:00 PM: ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE VINTAGE PARK in HOUSTON, TX
114 Vintage Park Blvd, Building H, Suite J, Houston TX 77070. (832) 559-5959. Peter's signing will begin at 5:00.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 4/5, 1:00 PM: ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE in RICHARDSON, TX
100 South Central Expressway, 14 Richardson, TX 75080. (972) 534-2120. Peter's signing will begin after the show.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 4/9, 7:00 PM: B&B TULSA STARWORLD 20 in TULSA, OK
10301 South Memorial Drive, Tulsa, OK 74133. (918) 369-7475. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.BUY TICKETS
Friday 4/10, 7:00 PM: B&B WINDSOR 10 in OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
4623 Northwest 23rd Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73127. (405) 917-2299. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 4/11, 11:00 AM: B&B HUTCHINSON MALL 8 in HUTCHINSON, KS
1500 East 11th Avenue, Hutchinson, KS 67501. (620) 669-8688. Peter's signing will begin after the show.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 4/12, 8:00 PM: LIBERTY HALL in LAWRENCE, KS
644 Massachusetts Street, Lawrence, KS 66044. (785) 749-1972.BUY TICKETS
Monday 4/13, TIME TBD: CARMIKE SETH CHILDS 12 in MANHATTAN, KS
Boulevard Bend Shopping Center, 2610 Farm Bureau Road, Manhattan, KS 66502. (785) 776-9811.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Tuesday 4/14, 7:00 PM: B&B DODGE CITY VILLAGE 8 in DODGE CITY, KS
2601 Central Avenue, Dodge City, KS 67801. (620) 227-8100. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Wednesday 4/15, 6:30 PM: ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE in LUBBOCK, TX
120 West Loop 289, Lubbock, TX 79416. (806) 368-8887.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 4/16, 7:00 PM: PREMIER CINEMA in EL PASO, TX
Bassett Place, 6101 Gateway Blvd W, El Paso, TX 79925. (915) 771-7902.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 5/2, 1:30 PM: THE BRATTLE THEATRE in CAMBRIDGE, MA
40 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138. (617) 876-6838.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 5/7, 6:00 & 7:00 PM: RED RIVER THEATRE in CONCORD, NH
11 South Main Street # L1, Concord, NH 03301. (603) 224-4600.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 5/9, 11:00 AM: IMAGES CINEMA in WILLIAMSTOWN, MA
50 Spring St, Williamstown, MA 01267. (413) 458-5612.BUY TICKETS
Tuesday 5/12, 7:00 PM: CINEMAGIC GRAND CLARKS POND in SOUTH PORTLAND, ME
333 Clarks Pond Pkwy, South Portland, ME 04106. (207) 772-6023.BUY TICKETS
Wednesday 5/13, 7:00 PM: RAILROAD SQUARE CINEMA in WATERVILLE, ME
17 Railroad Square, Waterville, ME 04901. (207) 873-6526.BUY TICKETS
The goal of the tour is to give as many people as possible a chance to meet Peter and see The Last Unicorn the way it was created to be seen — in a movie theater! Between now and the summer of 2016 there will be screenings in all 50 US states plus the District of Columbia, and at least 18 other countries as well. So please spread the word…and if we aren’t going to be near you soon, our apologies. It takes a lot of traveling to cover the world one theater at a time!
A NOTE ABOUT TOUR MEMBERSHIP
At every show we invite attendees to become Official Tour Members. There are lots of good reasons to become a tour member, including special discounts, giveaways, deluxe tour-only editions of some merchandise, a monthly phone call to a randomly-chosen tour member from Peter himself, and other benefits. So if you came to one of our screenings and haven’t signed up yet, please do so! All you have to do is click here and send us an email with your name, plus the date and location of the show you attended.
Here are our currently scheduled shows. More will be posted as deals are settled. (Scroll down to see all the states and countries planned for the tour.)
- Saturday March 7, TBD: The Carmike Digiplex – Surprise, AZ (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Sunday March 8, 11 AM: The B&B Mesa Gateway 12 – Mesa, AZ (click here to buy tickets)
- Monday March 9, 7 PM: The Loft Cinema – Tucson, AZ (click here to buy tickets)
- Tuesday March 10, 7:30 PM: The Fountain Theatre – Las Cruces, NM (click here to buy tickets)
- Thursday March 12, 7 PM: Premier Cinema – Rio Rancho, NM (click here to buy tickets)
- Friday March 13, 6 PM AND Saturday March 14, 2 & 7 PM: Jean Cocteau Cinema – Santa Fe, NM (click here to buy tickets (SELECT DATE FROM CALENDAR))
- Sunday March 15, 11 AM: South Point Hotel & Casino Cinemark – Las Vegas, NV (click here to buy tickets)
- Monday March 16, 7 PM: Movies Havasu – Lake Havasu City, AZ (click here to buy tickets)
- Tuesday March 17, 7 PM: Elko Cinemas 6 – Elko, NV (click here to buy tickets)
- Wednesday March 18, 7 PM: Stadium 4 Cinema – Carson City, NV (click here to buy tickets)
- Thursday April 2, 7:30 PM: Alamo Drafthouse Westlakes – San Antonio, TX (click here to buy tickets)
- Friday April 3, 7 (SOLD OUT) & 10 PM: Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline – Austin, TX (click here to buy tickets)
- Saturday April 4, 6 PM: Alamo Drafthouse Vintage Park – Houston, TX (click here to buy tickets)
- Sunday April 5, 1 PM: Alamo Drafthouse – Richardson, TX (click here to buy tickets)
- Thursday April 9, 7 PM: B&B Tulsa Starworld 20 – Tulsa, OK (click here to buy tickets)
- Friday April 10, 7 PM: B&B Windsor 10 – Oklahoma City, OK (click here to buy tickets)
- Saturday April 11, 11 AM: B&B Hutchinson Mall 8 – Hutchinson, KS (click here to buy tickets)
- Sunday April 12, 8 PM: Liberty Hall – Lawrence, KS (click here to buy tickets)
- Monday April 13, TBD: Carmike Seth Childs 12 – Manhattan, KS (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Tuesday April 14, 7 PM: B&B Dodge City Village 8 – Dodge City, KS (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Wednesday April 15, 6:30 PM: Alamo Drafthouse – Lubbock, TX (click here to buy tickets)
- Thursdsay April 16, 7 PM: Premier Cinema – El Paso, TX (click here to buy tickets)
- Saturday May 2, 1:30 PM: The Brattle Theatre – Cambridge, MA (click here to buy tickets)
- Thursday May 7, 6 & 7 PM: Red River Theatre – Concord, NH (click here to buy tickets)
- Satuday May 9, 11 AM: Images Cinema – Williamstown, MA (click here to buy tickets)
- Tuesday May 12, 7 PM: Cinemagic Grand Clarks Pond – South Portland, ME (click here to buy tickets)
- Wednesday May 13, 7 PM: Railroad Square Cinema – Waterville, ME (click here to buy tickets)
THE PLAN FOR THE REST OF THE TOUR
Here is the current schedule from now through the tour’s end in summer 2016.
If you have specific theaters or cities to suggest, just click on the state or country in question to send us an email message.
June 2015: prep month
July/August 2015: EUROPE
January 2016: prep month
First, you can spread the word. The more buzz there is about Peter and the tour, the better.
Second, if you live in a state or country where we haven’t already booked all our dates, you can help us find good tour locations. Talk to your local theater. Find out if they have a 2K digital projection system and would be willing to let Peter meet fans and sign books in their lobby. If you get a positive response, let us know via phone or email — you’ll find our contact info at the top of this page. (Please note: we can’t show at any theaters belonging to the AMC, Regal, Century, Landmark, or Harkins chains. Those companies won’t allow us to sell stuff or sign inside the theater as part of an event, so don’t waste your time on any of them.)
Finally, you can tell us if you’d like to volunteer. Positions are limited, but we are going to need local help before and during each show — help with advance promotion, unloading and reloading, working the sales table, advice on places to eat and accommodations…a whole host of things. So if you’d like to become part of the tour instead of just attending it, let us know!
Lisa Manoogian is the Tour Team member managing the volunteer side of the operation. You can reach her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHANGES IN THE TOUR’S SCHEDULE: EUROPEAN LEGS COMBINED AND EXPANDED, SOME STATES SHIFTED
We learn as we go, and adjust.
We originally planned to cover parts of Europe in two shorter swings, several months apart. And we tried to hold on to that plan for a long time. But in the end practical reality forced us to reconsider — two such trips in one year just weren’t possible. In addition, we were getting impassioned “please come here!” requests from fans in European countries that weren’t on our original list, and we wanted to make them happy too.
So intrepid Tour Booking Manager Lisa Manoogian figured out a new schedule that would do the trick. Europe is now going to be a single longer trip, with a break in the middle for Peter, and more countries will be included. Lisa is working on the specific city-by-city, country-by-country details of the new schedule now and we will post them here as soon as they are ready. One nice side effect: this change makes it possible to come to Europe not just with the English-language version of the film, but with German, French, Italian, and Spanish versions as well…and maybe even a few others!
Having worked as road manager several times, Lisa knew from her own experience that we also needed to build breaks into the tour plan. Without them we couldn’t do all our shows as well as possible. So she made those changes too, extending the overall tour by one month and swapping some states around. The revised tour map is posted close to the top of this page.
CANADIAN TOUR FOLLOW-UP
1) Most of the issues that delayed Canadian paperwork have been resolved and orders are now starting to ship. With a little luck (and a lot of work) everything will be cleared up shortly. Please note — more than 90% of the Canadian Tour credit card purchases are still unprocessed, so many of you who collected merch from us at our shows have never been charged! To prevent any surprises we will make contact with every one of you personally before we process and complete your purchase.
2) As promised, there is going to be a special extra-fancy limited edition Tour Commemorative hardcover of The Last Unicorn novel, with a cover by Joy Ang, tour map endpapers, Peter’s tour diary, color photos of tour events (including the best tattoos and costumes!), a special essay by Canadian media critic and academic Carlen Lavigne, and other cool extras. When Peter finishes his tour diary and all the Canadian components are in, the book will be printed. The price will be $50 plus shipping for regular customers, but only $40 plus shipping for Tour Members. Email us now if you want to reserve a copy.
Just FYI, a special original movie poster (called a “one sheet”) was created for the Canadian Tour, designed by Edmonton artist and Last Unicorn fan Joy Ang. The run was limited to 2500 copies. Below you can see both Joy’s approved concept sketch and the finished version with Yuan Fung’s type design. These posters measure 27″ x 39.5″ and the remaining copies are for sale, as long as they last, at our tour screenings.
YOU CONSTANTLY AMAZE US
One of the things we never saw coming was just how far some of you will travel to catch a show. At our Fort Collins event in January, for example, we met one couple that drove 700 miles to get there from Stillwater, OK (a 10-hour trip), and another couple that flew over 900 miles from Dallas! But the record holder has got to be the woman who decided to use her frequent flyer miles to detour 3200 miles west and catch our show at the Pickford Film Center in Bellingham, WA, instead of going straight home to Alabama after finishing up at a business conference in Boston. That’s plain damn amazing.
GEORGE R.R. MARTIN & PETER S. BEAGLE: THE DIRE WOLF & THE UNICORN COMING TO HOME VIDEO
A dramatic confrontation.
A couple of years ago George R.R. Martin, author of the Game of Thrones books, used some of the income from that enormously successful series to buy and renovate the Jean Cocteau Cinema in his hometown of Santa Fe, NM.
At George’s invitation, the tour came to the Jean Cocteau in January `2014 and put on three Last Unicorn screenings, an art show, and a special on-stage “fantasy summit” conversation between George and Peter. Since the Jean Cocteau is small (only 125 seats) and obviously lots more people than that would love to hear what these two men have to say, we brought in a professional film crew and thoroughly documented the entire day. Those files are being edited and augmented now. Once the final version is complete, it will be released through all the usual outlets, with a big chunk of the income going to support the Jean Cocteau and other independent cinemas around the country.
SOME THINGS YOU JUST HAVE TO DO
Peter and Lula in Boise.
While we were in Seattle in November 2013 we got a special request from a mother in Boise, Idaho, who hoped we could bring the tour there before her terminally-ill 10 year-old daughter died. The girl’s name was Lula Coe, and the message from her mom said that The Last Unicorn had been Lula’s go-to film for comfort during her many long hours of chemo treatment. We immediately got in touch and made plans to add a Boise show in January.
Two days later Lula was hospitalized for an emergency procedure that she barely survived. Before that her doctors had said she had at least 6-7 months. Now it was anyone’s guess. Luckily, our next day had been scheduled as a break between our Eugene and Portland screenings. We scrapped that idea and, after finishing in Eugene, drove all night to Boise instead. We got there around dawn. That afternoon we put on a special screening for Lula, her family, and their supporters, and convened afterward at a local bookstore so Peter could do a reading and meet with folks before spending the rest of the evening with Lula. Special thanks to the Edwards Cinema 22 for lending us a free movie screen on barely 24 hours notice, and to Rediscovered Books for throwing a terrific full-blown author event just 18 hours after being called out of the blue.
What we saw and felt in Boise was amazing. We’re never going to forget Lula, her family, or any of the people who came together to make this happen.
Lula passed away on February 24th, 2014. Before she died she worked out all the details of her memorial service in advance with her parents, so people would know how she wanted it to be:
We are having an evening service because Lu’s made plans for you peoples. Also, there is a strict dress code:
No one is to wear black.
Brightest colors possible, please, though Lula is less approving of pink than yellow, orange, green, blue, and purple.
If you are wearing a tie, she prefers bowties.
Fairy wings are greatly encouraged.
Sparkles will be welcomed. In fact, if you don’t have any, you might be “given” some at the door.
Things mismatched are things to be celebrated.
True to form, she asked that people remember her by donating to help her 10 year-old friend Gideon Perkins, who is suffering from a still-undiagnosed lung disease. Peter, Connor, and the tour are all sending money and hope you will honor Lula’s request by doing so as well. Here’s the donation link: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/help-gideon-fight-chronic-lung-disease/111183
Lula Coe, 2003-2014. You will be missed.