THE TOUR MAP: Screening Locations from September 2014 through July 2016
Wednesday 9/17 & Thursday 9/18, 7 PM: the RIVERVIEW THEATER in MINNEAPOLIS, MN
3800 42nd Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55406. (612) 729-7369. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Friday 9/19, 6:45 PM & 9:15 PM: the MARCUS POINT CINEMA in MADISON, WI
7825 Big Sky Drive, Madison, WI 53719. (608) 833-3980. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 9/20, 1 PM & 4 PM: the TIMES CINEMA in MILWAUKEE, WI
5906 West Vliet St, Milwaukee, WI 53208. (414) 763-1763. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS - SELECT SHOW DATE AT SITE IN ORDER TO PURCHASE
Sunday 9/21, 6:45 PM & 9:15 PM: the MARCUS BAY PARK CINEMA in GREEN BAY, WI
755 Willard Drive, Green Bay, WI 54304. (920) 497-2430. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Monday 9/22, 6:45 PM & 9:15 PM: the MARCUS CEDAR CREEK CINEMA in ROTHSCHILD, WI
10101 Market Street D80, Rothschild, WI 54474. (715) 355-1080. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Tuesday 9/23, 7:30 PM: the CARMIKE MARKET SQUARE 10 in DEKALB, IL
2160 Sycamore Rd, DeKalb, IL 60115. (815) 787-2739. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKET SALES START
Wednesday 9/24, 7 PM: the BLOOMINGTON GALAXY 14 CINEMA in BLOOMINGTON, IL
1111 Wylie Drive, Bloomington, IL 61705. (309) 828-8081. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS - SELECT SHOW DATE AT SITE IN ORDER TO PURCHASE
Thursday 9/25, 7 PM: the O'FALLON 15 CINE in O'FALLON, IL
1320 Central Park Drive, O'Fallon, IL 62269. (618) 624-7336. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS - SELECT SHOW DATE AT SITE IN ORDER TO PURCHASE
Saturday 9/27 at 8 PM & Sunday 9/28 at 2 PM: the MUSIC BOX THEATRE in CHICAGO, IL
3733 North Southport Ave, Chicago, IL 60613. (773) 871-6607. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Monday 9/29, 6:45 PM & 9:15 PM: the MARCUS ORLAND PARK CINEMA in ORLAND PARK, IL
16350 S. La Grange Road, Orland Park, IL 60467. (708) 873-1900. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Tuesday 9/30, 7 PM: the AVON THEATER in DECATUR, IL
426 North Water Street, Decatur, IL 62523. (217) 422-8151. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Wednesday 10/1, 7 PM: the ROCHESTER GALAXY 14 CINE in ROCHESTER, MN
4340 Maine Avenue SE, Rochester, MN 55904. (507) 529-1730. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS - SELECT SHOW DATE AT SITE IN ORDER TO PURCHASE
Friday 10/17, 7 PM: the PINEVIEW STADIUM 12 in ST. GEORGE, UT
2376 Red Cliffs Drive, St. George, UT 84790. (435) 627-9700. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKET SALES START
Saturday 10/18, 1 PM & 7 PM: the MEGAPLEX SOUTH JORDAN AT THE DISTRICT in SOUTH JORDAN, UT
3761 West Parkway Plaza Drive, South Jordan, UT 84095. (801) 304-4019. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKET SALES START
Sunday 10/19, 1 PM & 7 PM: the MEGAPLEX 20 AT JORDAN COMMONS in SANDY, UT
9400 South State Street, Sandy, UT 84070. (801) 304-4577. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKET SALES START
Monday 10/20, 7 PM: the MEGAPLEX 17 AT THANKSGIVING POINT in LEHI, UT
2935 Thanksgiving Way, Lehi, UT 84043. (801) 768-2700. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKET SALES START
Tuesday 10/21, 7 PM: the MEGAPLEX THEATER AT THE JUNCTION in OGDEN, UT
2351 Kiesel Avenue, Ogden, UT 84401. (801) 528-5800. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKET SALES START
Wednesday 10/22, 7 PM: the BRIDGER VALLEY THEATRE in LYMAN, WY
110 E Owen St, Lyman, WY 82937. (307) 787-3333. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 10/23: the CARMIKE FRONTIER 9 THEATER in CHEYENNE, WY
1400 Dell Range Blvd #21, Cheyenne, WY 82009. (307) 634-8437. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKET SALES START
Friday 10/24: the PRINCESS THEATRE in DOUGLAS, WY
104 N. 3rd Street, Douglas, WY 82633. (307) 358-6209. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 11/1 at 1 PM & 8 PM and Sunday 11/2 at 1 PM & 4:30 PM: the HOLLYWOOD THEATRE in PORTLAND, OR
4122 NE Sandy Boulevard, Portland, OR 97212. (503) 281-4215. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 11/8, 7 PM & 9 PM: the BLUE MOUSE THEATRE in TACOMA, WA
2611 N Proctor St, Tacoma, WA 98407. (253) 752-9500. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKET SALES START
The goal of the tour is to give as many people as possible a chance to meet Peter and see The Last Unicorn the way it was created to be seen — in a movie theater! Between now and the summer of 2016 there will be screenings in all 50 US states plus the District of Columbia, and at least 18 other countries as well. So please spread the word…and if we aren’t going to be near you soon, our apologies. It takes a lot of traveling to cover the world one theater at a time!
A NOTE ABOUT TOUR MEMBERSHIP
At every show we invite attendees to become Official Tour Members. There are lots of good reasons to become a tour member, including special discounts, giveaways, deluxe tour-only editions of some merchandise, a monthly phone call to a randomly-chosen tour member from Peter himself, and other benefits. So if you came to one of our screenings and haven’t signed up yet, please do so! All you have to do is click here and send us an email with your name, plus the date and location of the show you attended.
Here are the shows currently scheduled between now and the end of 2014. More will be posted as deals are settled. (Scroll down to see all the states and countries planned for the tour.)
- Wednesday September 17 and Thursday September 18, 7 PM: Riverview Theater – Minneapolis, MN (click here to buy tickets)
- Friday September 19, 6:45 PM & 9:15 PM: Marcus Point Cinema – Madison, WI (click here to buy tickets)
- Saturday September 20, 1 PM & 4 PM: The Times Cinema – Milwaukee, WI (click here to buy tickets: please note that you will have to use the dropdown menu on the page to select the right date in order to make your purchase)
- Sunday September 21, 6:45 PM & 9:15 PM: Marcus Bay Park Cinema – Green Bay, WI (click here to buy tickets)
- Monday September 22, 6:45 PM & 9:15 PM: Marcus Cedar Creek Cinema – Rothschild, WI (click here to buy tickets)
- Tuesday September 23, 7:30 PM: Carmike Market Square 10 – DeKalb, IL (click here to be notified when online ticket sales begin)
- Wednesday September 24, 7 PM: Bloomington Galaxy 14 – Bloomington, IL (click here to buy tickets (select show date first when you get to the sales page)
- Thursday September 25, 7 PM: O’Fallon 15 Cine – O’Fallon, IL (click here to buy tickets (select show date first when you get to the sales page)
- Friday September 26: Additional show at the Music Box in Chicago IF the other shows sell out
- Saturday September 27, 8 PM & Sunday September 28, 2 PM: Music Box Theatre – Chicago, IL (click here to buy tickets)
- Monday September 29, 6:45 PM & 9:15 PM: Marcus Orland Park Cinema – Orland Park, IL (click here to buy tickets)
- Tuesday September 30, 7 PM: Avon Theater – Decatur, IL (click here to buy tickets)
- Wednesday October 1, 7 PM: Rochester Galaxy 14 – Rochester, MN (click here to buy tickets (select show date first when you get to the sales page)
- Friday October 17, 7 PM: Pineview Stadium 10 – St. George, UT (click here to be notified when online ticket sales begin)
- Saturday October 18, 1 PM & 7 PM: Megaplex South Jordan at the District – South Jordan, UT (click here to be notified when online ticket sales begin)
- Sunday October 19, 1 PM & 7 PM: Megaplex 20 at Jordan Commons – Sandy, UT (click here to be notified when online ticket sales begin)
- Monday October 20, 7 PM: Megaplex 17 at Thanksgiving Point – Lehi, UT (click here to be notified when online ticket sales begin)
- Tuesday October 21, 7 PM: Megaplex Theater at the Junction – Ogden, UT (click here to be notified when online ticket sales begin)
- Wednesday October 22, 7 PM: Bridger Valley Theatre – Lyman, WY (click here to buy tickets)
- Thursday October 24: Carmike Frontier 9 Theater – Cheyenne, WY (click here to be notified when online ticket sales begin)
- Friday October 25: the Princess Theatre – Douglas, WY (click here to buy tickets)
- Saturday November 1, 1 PM & 8PM and Sunday November 2, 1 PM & 4:30 PM: Hollywood Theatre – Portland, OR (click here to buy tickets)
- Saturday November 8, 7 PM & 9 PM: Blue Mouse Theater – Tacoma, WA (click here to be notified when online ticket sales begin)
THE PLAN FOR THE REST OF THE TOUR
Here is the schedule from now through the tour’s end in summer 2016. It hits every US state, most Canadian provinces, and all the countries we are going to exactly one time each. (Exception: California, which is so big we had to split it in two.)
If you have specific theaters or cities to suggest, just click on the state or country in question to send us an email message.
September 2014: Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin [all shows listed above]
December 2014: Northern California
First, you can spread the word. The more buzz there is about Peter and the tour, the better.
Second, if you live in a state or country where we haven’t already booked all our dates, you can help us find good tour locations. Talk to your local theater. Find out if they have a 2K digital projection system and would be willing to let Peter meet fans and sign books in their lobby. If you get a positive response, let us know via phone or email — you’ll find our contact info at the top of this page. (Please note: we can’t show at any theaters belonging to the AMC, Regal, Century, Landmark, or Harkins chains. Those companies won’t allow us to sell stuff or sign inside the theater as part of an event, so don’t waste your time on any of them.)
Finally, you can tell us if you’d like to volunteer. Positions are limited, but we are going to need local help before and during each show — help with advance promotion, unloading and reloading, working the sales table, advice on places to eat and accommodations…a whole host of things. So if you’d like to become part of the tour instead of just attending it, let us know!
Chris Rickert is the Tour Team member managing the volunteer side of the operation. You can reach her directly at email@example.com.
CANADIAN TOUR FOLLOW-UP
1) Believe it or not, a whole summer after the last of our Canadian shows we are still dealing with some difficulties created by international differences in tax paperwork, credit card processing, etc. Please be patient with us while we plow through. Turns out a lot of stuff both governments and our bank assured us was simple isn’t actually simple at all. (There is an upside — having been through this once, we’ll be prepped and ready for these matters next time we leave the United States.)
2) As promised, there is going to be a special extra-fancy limited edition Tour Commemorative hardcover of The Last Unicorn novel, with a cover by Joy Ang, tour map endpapers, Peter’s tour diary, color photos of tour events (including the best tattoos and costumes!), a special essay by Canadian media critic and academic Carlen Lavigne, and other cool extras. Peter is working on his tour diary, which is taking longer than he expected but should be done soon. Once he is finished and all the Canadian components are in we’ll send the book to the printer. The price will be $50 plus shipping for regular customers, but only $40 plus shipping for Tour Members. We will take reservations right up to when the book goes to press. Email us now if you want to reserve a copy.
3) A special original movie poster (called a “one sheet”) was created for the Canadian Tour, designed by Edmonton artist and Last Unicorn fan Joy Ang. The run was limited to 2500 copies, and there are still some left. Below you can see both Joy’s approved concept sketch and the finished version with Yuan Fung’s type design. These posters measure 27″ x 39.5″. The remaining copies are $25 signed (or $35 signed and personalized) plus shipping. They will be up for sale soon on the Conlan Press website. If you want one before then, click on this link to contact us by email..
YOU CONSTANTLY AMAZE US
One of the things we never saw coming was just how far some of you will travel to catch a show. At our Fort Collins event in January, for example, we met one couple that drove 700 miles to get there from Stillwater, OK (a 10-hour trip), and another couple that flew over 900 miles from Dallas! But the record holder has got to be the woman who decided to use her frequent flyer miles to detour 3200 miles west and catch our show at the Pickford Film Center in Bellingham, WA, instead of going straight home to Alabama after finishing up at a business conference in Boston. That’s plain damn amazing.
To honor and applaud you wonderful people we’ve decided to start giving out a prize at each show to the person or family that came the greatest distance.
GEORGE R.R. MARTIN & PETER S. BEAGLE: THE DIRE WOLF & THE UNICORN COMING TO HOME VIDEO
A dramatic confrontation.
A couple of years ago George R.R. Martin, author of the Game of Thrones books, used some of the income from that enormously successful series to buy and renovate the Jean Cocteau Cinema in his hometown of Santa Fe, NM.
At George’s invitation, the tour came to the Jean Cocteau in January `2014 and put on three Last Unicorn screenings, an art show, and a special on-stage “fantasy summit” conversation between George and Peter. Since the Jean Cocteau is small (only 125 seats) and obviously lots more people than that would love to hear what these two men have to say, we brought in a professional film crew and thoroughly documented the entire day. Those files are being edited and augmented now. Once the final version is complete, it will be released through all the usual outlets, with a big chunk of the income going to support the Jean Cocteau and other independent cinemas around the country.
SOME THINGS YOU JUST HAVE TO DO
Peter and Lula in Boise.
While we were in Seattle in November 2013 we got a special request from a mother in Boise, Idaho, who hoped we could bring the tour there before her terminally-ill 10 year-old daughter died. The girl’s name was Lula Coe, and the message from her mom said that The Last Unicorn had been Lula’s go-to film for comfort during her many long hours of chemo treatment. We immediately got in touch and made plans to add a Boise show in January.
Two days later Lula was hospitalized for an emergency procedure that she barely survived. Before that her doctors had said she had at least 6-7 months. Now it was anyone’s guess. Luckily, our next day had been scheduled as a break between our Eugene and Portland screenings. We scrapped that idea and, after finishing in Eugene, drove all night to Boise instead. We got there around dawn. That afternoon we put on a special screening for Lula, her family, and their supporters, and convened afterward at a local bookstore so Peter could do a reading and meet with folks before spending the rest of the evening with Lula. Special thanks to the Edwards Cinema 22 for lending us a free movie screen on barely 24 hours notice, and to Rediscovered Books for throwing a terrific full-blown author event just 18 hours after being called out of the blue.
What we saw and felt in Boise was amazing. We’re never going to forget Lula, her family, or any of the people who came together to make this happen.
Lula passed away on February 24th, 2014. Before she died she worked out all the details of her memorial service in advance with her parents, so people would know how she wanted it to be:
We are having an evening service because Lu’s made plans for you peoples. Also, there is a strict dress code:
No one is to wear black.
Brightest colors possible, please, though Lula is less approving of pink than yellow, orange, green, blue, and purple.
If you are wearing a tie, she prefers bowties.
Fairy wings are greatly encouraged.
Sparkles will be welcomed. In fact, if you don’t have any, you might be “given” some at the door.
Things mismatched are things to be celebrated.
True to form, she asked that people remember her by donating to help her 10 year-old friend Gideon Perkins, who is suffering from a still-undiagnosed lung disease. Peter, Connor, and the tour are all sending money and hope you will honor Lula’s request by doing so as well. Here’s the donation link: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/help-gideon-fight-chronic-lung-disease/111183
Lula Coe, 2003-2014. You will be missed.