Thursday 4/17, 7 PM: the SILVERCITY VICTORIA CINEMAS in VICTORIA, BC
3130 Tillicum Road, Victoria, British Columbia V9A 6T2, CANADA. (250) 381-9301. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 4/20, 7 PM: the CINEPLEX ODEON INTERNATIONAL VILLAGE CINEMAS in VANCOUVER, BC
88 West Pender Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 6N9, CANADA. (604) 806-0799. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Monday 4/21, 7 PM: the SILVERCITY COQUITLAM & VIP CINEMAS in COQUITLAM, BC
170 Schoolhouse Street, Coquitlam, British Columbia V3K 6V6, CANADA. (604) 523-2911. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Tuesday 4/22, 7 PM: the CINEPLEX ODEON ABERDEEN MALL CINEMAS in KAMLOOPS, BC
1320 West Trans-Canada Highway, Kamloops, British Columbia V1S 1J2, CANADA. (250) 377-8199. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Wednesday 4/23, 7 PM: the CINEPLEX ODEON NORTH EDMONTON CINEMAS in EDMONTON, AB
14231 137 Avenue NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5L 5E8, CANADA. (780) 732-2236. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 4/24, 7 PM: the GALAXY CINEMAS SHERWOOD PARK in EDMONTON, AB
2020 Sherwood Drive, Sherwood Park, Alberta T8A 3H9, CANADA. (780) 416-0152. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 4/26, 4 PM: the GALAXY CINEMAS RED DEER in RED DEER, AB
357-37400 Highway 2, Red Deer County, Red Deer, Alberta T4E 1B9, CANADA. (403) 348-2357. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 4/27, 4 PM & 7 PM: the CINEPLEX ODEON CROWFOOT CROSSING CINEMAS in CALGARY, AB
91 Crowfoot Terrace NW, Calgary, Alberta T3G 2L5, CANADA. (403) 547-3316. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Monday 4/28, 7 PM: the CINEPLEX ODEON WESTHILLS CINEMAS in CALGARY, AB
65 Stewart Green SW, Calgary, Alberta T3H 3C8, CANADA. (403) 246-5291. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Wednesday 4/30, 7 PM: the GALAXY CINEMAS LETHBRIDGE in LETHBRIDGE, AB
501 1 Avenue South, Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 0A1, CANADA. (403) 329-0002. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 5/1, 7 PM: the CINEPLEX ODEON CENTRE CINEMAS in SASKATOON, SK
3510 8th Street East, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7H 0W6, CANADA. (306) 955-1938. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 5/4, 4 PM & 7 PM: the CINEPLEX ODEON SOUTHLAND CINEMAS in REGINA, SK
3025 Gordon Road, Regina, Saskatchewan S4S 6H7, CANADA. (306) 585-3383. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Monday 5/5, 7 PM: the SILVERCITY ST. VITAL CINEMAS in WINNIPEG, MB
1225 Saint Mary's Road #160, Winnipeg, Manitoba R2M 5L3, CANADA. (204) 256-3901. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Wednesday 5/7, 7 PM: the SILVERCITY THUNDER BAY CINEMAS in THUNDER BAY, ON
850 North May Street, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7C 6A5, CANADA. (807) 628-8445. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 5/8, 7 PM: the SILVERCITY SUDBURY CINEMAS in SUDBURY, ON
355 Barry Downe Road, Greater Sudbury, Ontario P3B 4K4, CANADA. (705) 521-0069. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 5/10, 4 PM & 7 PM: the CINEPLEX CINEMAS YONGE-DUNDAS in TORONTO, ON
10 Dundas Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2G9, CANADA. (416) 977-9262. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 5/11, 4 PM & 7 PM: the CINEPLEX ODEON WESTMOUNT & VIP CINEMAS in LONDON, ON
755 Wonderland Rd S, London, Ontario N6K 1M6, CANADA. (519) 474-2152. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Monday 5/12, 7 PM: the SILVERCITY HAMILTON MOUNTAIN CINEMAS in HAMILTON, ON
795 Paramount Drive, Stoney Creek, Ontario L8J 0B4, CANADA. (905) 560-0239. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Wednesday 5/14, 7 PM: the CINEPLEX ODEON GARDINERS ROAD CINEMAS in KINGSTON, ON
636 Gardiners Road, Kingston, Ontario K7M 3X9, CANADA. (613) 634-4197. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 5/15, 7 PM: the CINEPLEX CINEMAS OTTAWA in OTTAWA, ON
3090 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario K2B 7K2, CANADA. (613) 596-9475. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 5/17, 4 PM: the SILVERCITY GLOUCESTER CINEMAS in GLOUCESTER, ON
2385 City Park Drive, Gloucester, Ontario K1J 1G1, CANADA. (613) 688-8800. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 5/18, 4 PM & 7 PM: the CINÉMA CINEPLEX ODEON FORUM in MONTRÉAL, QB
2313 St. Catherine Street West Suite 101, Montréal, Quebec H3H 1N2, CANADA. (514) 904-1277. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Tuesday 5/20, 7 PM: the CINEPLEX CINEMAS SAINT JOHN in SAINT JOHN, NB
175 McAllister Drive, Saint John, New Brunswick E2J 2S6, CANADA. (506) 632-4204. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
Wednesday 5/21, 7 PM: the CINEPLEX CINEMAS PARK LANE in HALIFAX, NS
5657 Spring Garden Road, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3R4, CANADA. (902) 420-0660. Seating is limited, so get your tickets as soon as you can.BUY TICKETS
The goal of the tour is to give as many people as possible a chance to meet Peter and see The Last Unicorn the way it was created to be seen — in a movie theater! There will be screenings all over America from now through April 2016, as well as major cities in Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.
IT’S CANADA TIME, GANG!
The tour has partnered with Cineplex Entertainment, the largest theater chain in Canada, to put on at least 29 screenings in 24 movie theaters from British Columbia to Nova Scotia. Here are the currently scheduled dates, times and locations, plus ticket sales links:
- Thursday April 17, 7 PM: SilverCity Victoria Cinemas – Victoria, BC CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Sunday April 20, 7 PM: Cineplex Odeon International Village Cinemas – Vancouver, BC CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Monday April 21, 7 PM: SilverCity Coquitlam & VIP Cinemas – Coquitlam, BC CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Tuesday April 22, 7 PM: Cineplex Odeon Aberdeen Mall Cinemas – Kamloops, BC CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Wednesday April 23, 7 PM: Cineplex Odeon North Edmonton Cinemas – Edmonton, AB CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Thurs April 24, 7 PM: Galaxy Cinemas Sherwood Park – Edmonton, AB CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Saturday April 26, 4 PM: Galaxy Cinemas Red Deer – Red Deer, AB CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Sunday April 27, 4 PM & 7 PM: Cineplex Odeon Crowfoot Crossing Cinemas – Calgary, AB CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Monday April 28, 7 PM: Cineplex Odeon Westhills Cinemas – Calgary, AB CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Wednesday April 30, 7 PM: Galaxy Cinemas Lethbridge – Lethbridge, AB CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Thursday May 1, 7 PM: Cineplex Odeon Centre Cinemas – Saskatoon, SK CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Sunday May 4, 4 PM & 7 PM: Cineplex Odeon Southland Cinemas – Regina, SK CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Monday May 5, 7 PM: SilverCity St. Vital Cinemas – Winnipeg, MB CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Wednesday May 7, 7 PM: SilverCity Thunder Bay Cinemas – Thunder Bay, ON CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Thursday May 8, 7 PM: SilverCity Sudbury Cinemas – Sudbury, ON CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Saturday May 10, 4 PM & 7 PM: Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas – Toronto, ON CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Sunday May 11, 4 PM & 7 PM: Cineplex Odeon Westmount & VIP Cinemas – London, ON CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Monday May 12, 7 PM: SilverCity Hamilton Mountain Cinemas – Hamilton, ON CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Wednesday May 14, 7 PM: Cineplex Odeon Gardiners Road Cinemas – Kingston, ON CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Thursday May 15, 7 PM: Cineplex Cinemas Ottawa – Ottawa, ON CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Saturday May 17, 4 PM: SilverCity Gloucester Cinemas – Gloucester, ON CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Sunday May 18, 4 PM & 7 PM: Cinéma Cineplex Odeon Forum – Montreal, QB CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
- Tuesday May 20, 7 PM: Cineplex Cinemas Saint John – Saint John, NB CANADA (click here to buy ticket).
- Wednesday May 21, 7 PM: Cineplex Cinemas Park Lane – Halifax, NS CANADA (click here to buy tickets).
This looks like a lot of screenings, but in order to get to as much of Canada as possible we had to make compromises. (There are only two shows to cover all of Vancouver, for example.) Seating is therefore limited and you should get your tickets ASAP. With enough demand, of course, Cineplex might be able to put us in larger auditoriums or, in some locations, add shows. Our best advice: if a show you want is sold out then email us or Cineplex and lobby for more. It would be exciting to see Canada gave us our biggest events yet.
PLUS THREE CANADIAN CONVENTIONS!
Peter will also be appearing at Fan Expo Vancouver (4/18-20), a good chunk of the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo (4/24-27), and Fan Expo Regina (5/3-4). The last day of Fan Expo Vancouver will be Peter’s 75th birthday, so please come help him celebrate.
AND TWO SPECIAL CANADIAN TOUR ITEMS…
Partnering with Cineplex has made two Really Cool extras possible.
1) A special original movie poster (called a “one sheet”) for the Canadian Tour, designed by Edmonton artist and Last Unicorn fan Joy Ang. The poster price will be $15, and sales will start at the 4/17 screening in Victoria. Email us now if you want to reserve a copy.
2) A special extra-fancy limited edition Tour Commemorative hardcover of The Last Unicorn novel, with a cover by Joy Ang, tour map endpapers, Peter’s tour diary, color photos of tour events (and the best costumes!), and a special essay by Canadian media critic and academic Carlen Lavigne. List price will be $50. We’ll be taking reservations right up to the end of the tour and collecting no money until the book goes to press in July. Email us now if you want to reserve a copy.
And no, you don’t have to be Canadian to get these. Really Cool stuff should be available to everyone.
A NOTE ABOUT TOUR MEMBERSHIP
At every show we’ve given out tour membership cards and invited attendees to either fill them out on the spot or email us afterwards, as per the instructions on the card, to get signed up. There are lots of good reasons to become a tour member, including special discounts, giveaways, deluxe tour-only editions of some merchandise, a monthly phone call to a randomly-chosen tour member from Peter himself, and other benefits. So if you came to one of our screenings and haven’t signed up yet, please do so! All you have to do is click here and send us an email with your name, plus the date and location of the show you attended.
That depends on where you live and the theaters in your vicinity. The tour has certain minimum requirements.
- Digital projection (because we’re showing a gorgeous new 2K Digital Cinema Print).
- Use of the lobby, so fans can line up to meet Peter, buy stuff, and get things signed.
That last item may seem like a no-brainer, but it isn’t. For example, the lobby space in the three biggest American theater chains is controlled by one company, National Cinemedia, and not by the individual theaters themselves. NCM has an exclusive on all lobby sales at these locations, and until we succeed in getting a waiver from them we can’t bring the tour to any cinemas owned by AMC, Regal, or Century. We also can’t show at any Landmark theaters for much the same reason: Landmark doesn’t allow any selling in the lobby that they don’t completely manage and control.
Meanwhile some other regional movie chains, like Harkins in Arizona, just don’t allow any lobby sales, period. We put on a show at their Flagstaff location because it was the only movie theater in town, so we didn’t have any choice. To “solve” the lobby problem there we did our sales and signing session at a hotel a few blocks away, after the screening. This sort of worked, but not well, and was a major strain on the audience and the team. We won’t try that again.
Within these limitations — digital projection and lobby usage — we will do our best to hold screenings in reach of everyone who wants to come. Fans who live in in major population centers will get more than one chance, since we’ll be coming back to big cities several times during the tour.
CAN I HELP?
First, you can spread the word. The more buzz there is about Peter and the tour, the better.
Second, you can help find good tour locations. Talk to your local theater. Find out if they have a 2K digital projection system and would be willing to let Peter meet fans and sign books in their lobby. If you get a positive response, let us know via phone or email (you’ll find our contact info at the top of this page).
Finally, you can tell us if you’d like to volunteer. Positions are limited, but we are going to need local help before and during each show — help with advance promotion, unloading and reloading, working the sales table, advice on places to eat and accommodations…a whole host of things. So if you’d like to become part of the tour instead of just attending it, let us know! (Chris Rickert is the Tour Team member managing the volunteer side of the operation. You can reach her directly at email@example.com.)
YOU CONSTANTLY AMAZE US
One of the things we never saw coming was just how far some of you have been willing to travel to catch a show. At our Fort Collins event in January, for example, we met one couple that had driven 700 miles to get there from Stillwater, OK (a 10-hour trip), and another couple that had flown over 900 miles from Dallas!
But the record holder has got to be the woman who decided to use her frequent flyer miles to detour 3200 miles west and catch our show at the Pickford Film Center in Bellingham, WA, instead of going straight home to Alabama after finishing up at a business conference in Boston. That’s plain damn amazing.
What’s your Screening Tour travel story? And do you think we ought to start giving out a prize at each show to the person who came the greatest distance?
GEORGE R.R. MARTIN & PETER S. BEAGLE: THE DIRE WOLF & THE UNICORN COMING TO HOME VIDEO SOON
A couple of years ago George R.R. Martin, author of the Game of Thrones books, used some of the income from that enormously successful series to buy and renovate the Jean Cocteau Cinema in his hometown of Santa Fe, NM.
At George’s invitation, we came to the Jean Cocteau last January and put on three Last Unicorn screenings, an artshow, and a special on-stage “fantasy summit” conversation between George and Peter. Since the Jean Cocteau is a small theater (only 125 seats) and obviously a lot more people than that would love to hear what these two men have to say, we brought in a professional film crew and thoroughly documented the entire day. Those files are being edited and augmented now. Once the final version is complete, Conlan Press will release it through all the usual outlets, with a big chunk of the income going to support the Jean Cocteau and other independent cinemas around the country.
SOME THINGS YOU JUST HAVE TO DO
While we were in Seattle last November we got email from a mother in Boise, Idaho, hoping we could bring the tour there before her terminally-ill 10 year-old daughter passed away, which the doctors expected to be sometime next spring. The girl’s name was Lula Coe. We immediately got in touch and made plans to add a Boise show in January. Two days later, however, Lula was hospitalized for an emergency procedure that she had barely survived. Her doctors now gave her only 4-6 weeks.
Our next day had been scheduled as a day off. We scrapped that and, after finishing our Eugene show, drove all night to Boise instead, getting there around dawn. There we put on a special screening for Lula, her family, and their supporters, and convened afterward at Rediscovered Books so Peter could do a reading and meet with folks before spending the rest of the evening with Lula. After a nap, we drove all night to be back in Portland for our scheduled shows there. Special thanks to the Edwards Cinema 22 for lending us a movie screen on barely 24 hours notice, and to Rediscovered Books for throwing a terrific full-blown author event just 18 hours after being called out of the blue.
What happened in Boise was amazing. We’re never going to forget Lula, her family, or the amazing people who came together to make this happen. To learn more and see a local news video about the day, click here.
THE TOUR SO FAR…AND THANKS!
Here are the wonderful theaters that have supported the tour. If you live anywhere near one of them, by all means show some love by going to other movies there!
- Harkins Flagstaff 11 Luxury – Flagstaff
- Dickinson Palm Valley 14 – Goodyear
- Dickinson Gateway 12 – Mesa
- The Loft Cinema – Tucson
- Reading Cinemas Valley Plaza 16 – Bakersfield
- USC Ray Stark Family Theatre – Los Angeles
- Reading Cinemas Cal Oaks 17 – Murrieta
- Regency Lido (with Newport Beach Film Festival) – Newport Beach
- Reading Cinemas Tower – Sacramento
- Reading Cinemas Town Square 14 – San Diego
- Reading Cinemas Gaslamp 15 – San Diego
- Castro Theatre – San Francisco
- Lyric Cinema Cafe – Fort Collins
- Kress Cinema and Lounge – Greeley
- Alamo Drafthouse Aspen Grove – Littleton
- Sun-Ray Cinema – Jacksonville
- Cine – Athens
- Plaza Theatre – Atlanta
- Aurora Cineplex – Rosswell
- Edwards 22 – Boise
- AFI Silver – Silver Spring
- Alamo Drafthouse Main Street – Kansas City
- Reading Cinemas Manville 12 – Manville
- The Jean Cocteau Cinema – Santa Fe
- Reading Cinemas Village East – Manhattan
- Reading Cinemas 123 – Manhattan
- Reading Cinemas 86th Street East – Manhattan
- Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers – Yonkers
- Varsity Theater – Ashland
- Bijou Art Cinema – Eugene
- Hollywood Theater – Portland
- The Strand Theatre – Kutztown
- Cleveland Cinemas Southside Works – Pittsburgh
- Alamo Drafthouse Ritz – Austin
- Alamo Drafthouse Village – Austin
- Alamo Drafthouse Lake Creek – Austin
- Alamo Drafthouse Mason Park – Houston
- Alamo Drafthouse Westlakes – San Antonio
- Alamo Drafthouse One Loudon – Ashburn
- Reading Cinemas Angelika Mosaic – Fairfax
- Alamo Drafthouse Winchester – Winchester
- Pickford Film Center – Bellingham
- Cinerama – Seattle
- Garland Theater – Spokane
CANADA (BRITISH COLUMBIA)
- Colossus Langley Cinemas – Langley
- SilverCity Riverport Cinemas – Richmond