THE TOUR MAP: Screening Locations from September 2014 through July 2016
Saturday 1/3, 12:00 PM: GASLAMP 15 in SAN DIEGO, CA
701 5th Ave, San Diego CA 92101. (619) 232-0401. Peter's signing will begin after the show.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 1/4, 12:00 PM: TOWN SQUARE 14 in SAN DIEGO, CA
Clairemont Town Square, 4665 Clairemont Drive, San Diego CA 92117. (858) 274-9994. Peter's signing will begin after the show.BUY TICKETS
Monday 1/5, 7:00 PM: CAL OAKS 17 in MURRIETA, CA
41090 California Oaks Road, Murrieta CA 92562. (951) 696-7045. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.BUY TICKETS
Tuesday 1/6, 7:00 PM: REDLANDS CINEMA 14 in REDLANDS, CA
340 Eureka Street, Redlands, CA 92373. (909) 793-6393. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Wednesday 1/7, 7:00 PM: CIVIC PLAZA 12 in HESPERIA, CA
9711 Ninth Avenue, Hesperia CA 92345. (760) 995-3655. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 1/8, 7:00 PM: VALLEY PLAZA 16 in BAKERSFIELD, CA
2000 Wible Road, Bakersfield CA 93304. (661) 833-2230. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 1/10, 11:00 AM: THE ART THEATRE in LONG BEACH, CA
2025 East 4th Street, Long Beach CA 90814. (562) 438-5435. Peter's signing will begin after the show.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 1/11, 10:30 AM: LAEMMLE NOHO 7 in NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA
5240 Lankershim Boulevard, North Hollywood, CA 91601. (818) 762-4600. Peter's signing will begin after the show.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Monday 1/12, 7:00 PM: THE FRIDA in SANTA ANA, CA
305 E 4th St, Santa Ana, CA 92701. (323) 428-7411. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.BUY TICKETS
Tuesday 1/13, 7:00 PM: BUENA PARK METROPLEX 18 in BUENA PARK, CA
Buena Park Downtown, 8290 La Palma Avenue, Buena Park, CA 90620. (714) 826-2152. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Wednesday 1/14, 7:00 PM: LAEMMLE TOWN CENTER 5 in ENCINO, CA
17200 Ventura Boulevard #121, Encino, CA 91316. (818) 981-9811. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Thursday 1/15, 7:00 PM: LAEMMLE PLAYHOUSE 7 in PASADENA, CA
673 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91101. (310) 478-3836. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Friday 1/16, 7:00 PM: PLAZA CINEMAS 14 in OXNARD, CA
255 West 5th Street, Oxnard, CA 93030. (805) 487-8380. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.BUY TICKETS
Saturday 1/17, 10:30 AM: LAEMMLE ROYAL in WEST LA, CA
11523 Santa Monica Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90025. (310) 478-0401. Peter's signing will begin after the show.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Sunday 1/18, 1:00 PM: SIERRA VISTA CINEMAS 16 in CLOVIS, CA
Sierra Vista Mall, 1300 Shaw Avenue, Clovis, CA 93612. (559) 297-3456. Peter's signing will begin after the show.BUY TICKETS
Thursday 4/2, TIME TBD: ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE WESTLAKES in SAN ANTONIO, TX
1255 SouthWest Loop 410, San Antonio, TX 78227. (210) 677-8500.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Friday 4/3, 7:00 PM: ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE LAKELINE in AUSTIN, TX
14028 US 183, Austin TX. (512) 861-7070. Peter's signing will begin at 6:00.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Saturday 4/4, 6:00 PM: ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE VINTAGE PARK in HOUSTON, TX
114 Vintage Park Blvd, Building H, Suite J, Houston TX 77070. (832) 559-5959. Peter's signing will begin at 5:00.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Sunday 4/5, 1:00 PM: ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE in RICHARDSON, TX
100 South Central Expressway, 14 Richardson, TX 75080. (972) 534-2120. Peter's signing will begin after the show.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
Wednesday 4/15, TIME TBD PM: ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE in LUBBOCK, TX
120 West Loop 289, Lubbock, TX 79416. (806) 368-8887.NOTIFY ME WHEN TICKETS GO ON SALE
The goal of the tour is to give as many people as possible a chance to meet Peter and see The Last Unicorn the way it was created to be seen — in a movie theater! Between now and the summer of 2016 there will be screenings in all 50 US states plus the District of Columbia, and at least 18 other countries as well. So please spread the word…and if we aren’t going to be near you soon, our apologies. It takes a lot of traveling to cover the world one theater at a time!
A NOTE ABOUT TOUR MEMBERSHIP
At every show we invite attendees to become Official Tour Members. There are lots of good reasons to become a tour member, including special discounts, giveaways, deluxe tour-only editions of some merchandise, a monthly phone call to a randomly-chosen tour member from Peter himself, and other benefits. So if you came to one of our screenings and haven’t signed up yet, please do so! All you have to do is click here and send us an email with your name, plus the date and location of the show you attended.
Here are our currently scheduled shows. More will be posted as deals are settled. (Scroll down to see all the states and countries planned for the tour.)
- Saturday January 3, 12 PM: Gaslamp 15 – San Diego, CA (click here to buy tickets)
- Sunday January 4, 12 PM: Town Square 14 – San Diego, CA (click here to buy tickets)
- Monday January 5, 7 PM: Cal Oaks 17 – Murrieta, CA (click here to buy tickets)
- Tuesday January 6, 7 PM: Krikorian Redlands Cinema 14 – Redlands, CA (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Wednesday January 7, 7 PM: Civic Plaza 12 – Hesperia, CA (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Thursday January 8, 7 PM: Valley Plaza 16 – Bakersfield, CA (click here to buy tickets)
- Saturday January 10, 11 AM: The Art Theatre – Long Beach, CA (click here to buy tickets)
- Sunday January 11, 10:30 AM: Laemmle NoHo 7 – North Hollywood, CA (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Monday January 12, 7 PM: The Frida – Santa Ana, CA (click here to buy tickets)
- Tuesday January 13, 7 PM: Buena Park Metroplex 18 – Buena Park, CA (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Wednesday January 14, 7 PM: Laemmle Town Center 5 – Encino, CA (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Thursday January 15, 7 PM: Laemmle Playhouse 7 – Pasadena, CA (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Friday January 16, 7 PM: Plaza Cinemas 14 – Oxnard, CA (click here to buy tickets)
- Saturday January 17, 7 PM: Laemmle Royal – West LA, CA (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Sunday January 18, 1 PM: Sierra Vista 16 – Clovis, CA (click here to buy tickets)
- Thursday April 2, TBD: Alamo Drafthouse Westlakes – San Antonio, TX (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Friday April 3, 7 PM: Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline – Austin, TX (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Saturday April 4, 6 PM: Alamo Drafthouse Vintage Park – Houston, TX (notify me when tickets go on sale)
- Sunday April 5, 1 PM: Alamo Drafthouse – Richardson, TX (notify me when tickets go on sale)
THE PLAN FOR THE REST OF THE TOUR
Here is the schedule from now through the tour’s end in summer 2016. It hits every US state, most Canadian provinces, and all the countries we are going to exactly one time each. (Exception: California, which is so big we had to split it in two.)
If you have specific theaters or cities to suggest, just click on the state or country in question to send us an email message.
December 2014: Northern California [some shows listed above]
January 2015: Southern California [this is a change from the original schedule]
First, you can spread the word. The more buzz there is about Peter and the tour, the better.
Second, if you live in a state or country where we haven’t already booked all our dates, you can help us find good tour locations. Talk to your local theater. Find out if they have a 2K digital projection system and would be willing to let Peter meet fans and sign books in their lobby. If you get a positive response, let us know via phone or email — you’ll find our contact info at the top of this page. (Please note: we can’t show at any theaters belonging to the AMC, Regal, Century, Landmark, or Harkins chains. Those companies won’t allow us to sell stuff or sign inside the theater as part of an event, so don’t waste your time on any of them.)
Finally, you can tell us if you’d like to volunteer. Positions are limited, but we are going to need local help before and during each show — help with advance promotion, unloading and reloading, working the sales table, advice on places to eat and accommodations…a whole host of things. So if you’d like to become part of the tour instead of just attending it, let us know!
Chris Rickert is the Tour Team member managing the volunteer side of the operation. You can reach her directly at email@example.com.
CANADIAN TOUR FOLLOW-UP
1) Most of the issues that delayed Canadian paperwork have been resolved and orders are now starting to ship. With a little luck (and a lot of work) everything will be cleared up shortly. Please note — more than 90% of the Canadian Tour credit card purchases are still unprocessed, so many of you who collected merch from us at our shows have never been charged! To prevent any surprises we will make contact with every one of you personally before we process and complete your purchase.
2) As promised, there is going to be a special extra-fancy limited edition Tour Commemorative hardcover of The Last Unicorn novel, with a cover by Joy Ang, tour map endpapers, Peter’s tour diary, color photos of tour events (including the best tattoos and costumes!), a special essay by Canadian media critic and academic Carlen Lavigne, and other cool extras. When Peter finishes his tour diary and all the Canadian components are in, the book will be printed. The price will be $50 plus shipping for regular customers, but only $40 plus shipping for Tour Members. Email us now if you want to reserve a copy.
Just FYI, a special original movie poster (called a “one sheet”) was created for the Canadian Tour, designed by Edmonton artist and Last Unicorn fan Joy Ang. The run was limited to 2500 copies. Below you can see both Joy’s approved concept sketch and the finished version with Yuan Fung’s type design. These posters measure 27″ x 39.5″ and the remaining copies are for sale, as long as they last, at our tour screenings.
YOU CONSTANTLY AMAZE US
One of the things we never saw coming was just how far some of you will travel to catch a show. At our Fort Collins event in January, for example, we met one couple that drove 700 miles to get there from Stillwater, OK (a 10-hour trip), and another couple that flew over 900 miles from Dallas! But the record holder has got to be the woman who decided to use her frequent flyer miles to detour 3200 miles west and catch our show at the Pickford Film Center in Bellingham, WA, instead of going straight home to Alabama after finishing up at a business conference in Boston. That’s plain damn amazing.
To honor and applaud you wonderful people we’ve decided to start giving out a prize at each show to the person or family that came the greatest distance.
GEORGE R.R. MARTIN & PETER S. BEAGLE: THE DIRE WOLF & THE UNICORN COMING TO HOME VIDEO
A dramatic confrontation.
A couple of years ago George R.R. Martin, author of the Game of Thrones books, used some of the income from that enormously successful series to buy and renovate the Jean Cocteau Cinema in his hometown of Santa Fe, NM.
At George’s invitation, the tour came to the Jean Cocteau in January `2014 and put on three Last Unicorn screenings, an art show, and a special on-stage “fantasy summit” conversation between George and Peter. Since the Jean Cocteau is small (only 125 seats) and obviously lots more people than that would love to hear what these two men have to say, we brought in a professional film crew and thoroughly documented the entire day. Those files are being edited and augmented now. Once the final version is complete, it will be released through all the usual outlets, with a big chunk of the income going to support the Jean Cocteau and other independent cinemas around the country.
SOME THINGS YOU JUST HAVE TO DO
Peter and Lula in Boise.
While we were in Seattle in November 2013 we got a special request from a mother in Boise, Idaho, who hoped we could bring the tour there before her terminally-ill 10 year-old daughter died. The girl’s name was Lula Coe, and the message from her mom said that The Last Unicorn had been Lula’s go-to film for comfort during her many long hours of chemo treatment. We immediately got in touch and made plans to add a Boise show in January.
Two days later Lula was hospitalized for an emergency procedure that she barely survived. Before that her doctors had said she had at least 6-7 months. Now it was anyone’s guess. Luckily, our next day had been scheduled as a break between our Eugene and Portland screenings. We scrapped that idea and, after finishing in Eugene, drove all night to Boise instead. We got there around dawn. That afternoon we put on a special screening for Lula, her family, and their supporters, and convened afterward at a local bookstore so Peter could do a reading and meet with folks before spending the rest of the evening with Lula. Special thanks to the Edwards Cinema 22 for lending us a free movie screen on barely 24 hours notice, and to Rediscovered Books for throwing a terrific full-blown author event just 18 hours after being called out of the blue.
What we saw and felt in Boise was amazing. We’re never going to forget Lula, her family, or any of the people who came together to make this happen.
Lula passed away on February 24th, 2014. Before she died she worked out all the details of her memorial service in advance with her parents, so people would know how she wanted it to be:
We are having an evening service because Lu’s made plans for you peoples. Also, there is a strict dress code:
No one is to wear black.
Brightest colors possible, please, though Lula is less approving of pink than yellow, orange, green, blue, and purple.
If you are wearing a tie, she prefers bowties.
Fairy wings are greatly encouraged.
Sparkles will be welcomed. In fact, if you don’t have any, you might be “given” some at the door.
Things mismatched are things to be celebrated.
True to form, she asked that people remember her by donating to help her 10 year-old friend Gideon Perkins, who is suffering from a still-undiagnosed lung disease. Peter, Connor, and the tour are all sending money and hope you will honor Lula’s request by doing so as well. Here’s the donation link: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/help-gideon-fight-chronic-lung-disease/111183
Lula Coe, 2003-2014. You will be missed.