OUR FIRST GEORGIA AND FLORIDA EVENTS ARE THIS MONTH, DECEMBER 2013. SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS.
Saturday 12/7, 3:30 PM: the PLAZA THEATRE in ATLANTA, GA
1049 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306. (404) 873-1939. Peter's preshow signing session starts at 2 PM, ninety minutes before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 12/8, 2:00 PM: THE FIRST-EVER PETER S. BEAGLE/PIRATE CAT INVITATIONAL MINIATURE GOLF TOURNAMENT, AT DOUBLOON LAGOON in ROSWELL, GA (P.S. EVERYONE’S INVITED!)
5100 Commerce Parkway, Roswell, GA 30076. (770) 518-0977. Good weather willin’, and no ships of Her Majesty’s bloody Navy to mar the day, Peter S. Beagle and the Pirate Cat himself invite you to come putt for prizes this Sunday at Roswell’s own 18-hole miniature golf miracle, the Doubloon Lagoon. Anybody who beats Peter’s one-round score will be toasted most heroically by Peter himself, and gifted with a prize, while the top five champions of the day will get to do a putt-off to see who wins the grandest prizes of them all. The day begins straight up at 2 PM, and the price of admission — one solid gold pirate coin per head or $10 American, whichever you’ve got — will be collected on site when we’re sure the weather allows for good sailing. Free Hot Chocolate and Free Hot Cider care of the course! And if you come dressed like the pirate you really are, or one of the Pirate Cat’s LAST UNICORN friends, instead of disguised in landlubber’s clothes, you’ll win a prize even if you don’t sink a single shot! You can’t ask better than that now, can ye? (Then stay round longer and see THE LAST UNICORN itself in the evening, at the movie theater connected to the course.)LET US KNOW YOU'RE COMING
Sunday 12/8, 6:30 PM: the AURORA CINEPLEX in ROSWELL, GA
5100 Commerce Parkway, Roswell, GA 30076. (770) 518-0977. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Monday 12/9, 7:30 PM: the ATHENS CINE in ATHENS, GA
234 W Hancock Ave, Athens, GA 30601. (706) 353-3343. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
Sunday 12/15, 4 PM & 7 PM: the SUN-RAY CINEMA in JACKSONVILLE, FL
1028 Park Street, Jacksonville, FL 32204. (904) 359-0047. Peter's preshow signing session starts one hour before showtime.BUY TICKETS
The goal of the tour is to give as many people as possible a chance to meet Peter and see The Last Unicorn the way it was created to be seen — in a movie theater! There will be screenings all over America from now through the end of 2015, as well as major cities in Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.
DECEMBER SHOWS: SACRAMENTO, GEORGIA & FLORIDA
- Monday December 2, 7 PM, with preshow signing starting at 6 PM: Tower Theatre – Sacramento, CA (click here to buy tickets)
- Saturday December 7, 3:30 PM, with preshow signing starting at 2 PM and post-show signing ending at 7 PM: Plaza Theatre – Atlanta, GA (click here to buy tickets)
- Sunday December 8, 2 PM: Area 51 Entertainment – Roswell, GA. The first-ever Peter S. Beagle/Pirate Cat Invitational Miniature Golf Tournament, on the Doubloon Lagoon course at The Fringe, Area 51′s 36-hole course. Free hot cider, free hot chocolate, and PRIZES! Tickets are $10 a head, and the money will be collected at the course if the weather is good enough to let us play. Everyone is invited, so click here to let us know you are coming! (This is for the miniature golf contest only. Tickets to the evening’s Last Unicorn show are separate.)
- Sunday December 8, 6:30 PM: Area 51 Entertainment – Roswell, GA. Film screening at Area 51′s Aurora Cineplex, plus the first-ever Peter S. Beagle/Last Unicorn miniature golf tournament at their 36-hole installation, The Fringe. (click here to buy tickets for the FILM ONLY; the miniature golf tournament is a separate purchase)
- Monday December 9, 7:30 PM: Athens Cine – Athens, GA. (click here to buy tickets)
- Tuesday December 10 through Saturday December 14: Southeast tour continues (Georgia and Florida locations TBA)
- Sunday December 15, 4 PM & 7 PM: Sun-Ray Cinema – Jacksonville, FL (click here to buy tickets)
- Monday December 16 through Tuesday December 18: Southeast tour leg continues (Florida locations TBA)
JANUARY SHOWS: PENNSYLVANIA, THE SOUTHWEST, & COLORADO
- Saturday & Sunday January 4-5, location & times TBA: Pittsburgh, PA. Special weekend launch celebration for the city’s coolest new store, Rickert & Beagle Books (click here to be notified when online ticket sales begin)
- Friday January 17, 7 PM, with preshow signing starting at 6 PM: Reading Cinemas Valley Plaza 16 – Bakersfield, CA (click here to be notified when online ticket sales begin)
- Saturday January 18 through Friday January 24: Southwest tour leg begins (California, Arizona, and New Mexico locations TBA)
- Saturday January 25, 11 AM & 6:30 PM & 9 PM, with special onstage “Fantasy Summit between Peter S. Beagle & George R. R. Martin” at 5 PM: Jean Cocteau Cinema – Santa Fe, NM (click here to be notified when online ticket sales begin)
- Sunday January 26 through Tuesday January 28: Southwest tour leg continues (Colorado locations TBA)
As more screening locations and dates are finalized they will be announced here.
That depends on where you live and the theaters in your vicinity. The tour has certain minimum requirements.
- Digital projection (because we’re showing a gorgeous new 2K Digital Cinema Print).
- Use of the lobby, so fans can line up to meet Peter, buy stuff, and get things signed.
That last item may seem like a no-brainer, but it isn’t. For example, the lobby space in the three biggest American theater chains is controlled by one company, National Cinemedia, and not by the theaters themselves. Until we succeed in getting a waiver from NCM we can’t bring the tour to any AMC, Regal, or Century cinemas.
Within these limitations we will do our best to hold screenings in reach of everyone who wants to come. Fans who live in in major population centers will probably get more than one chance, since we’ll be coming back to big cities like Los Angeles, New York, Dallas, and Seattle several times during the tour.
CAN I HELP?
First, you can spread the word. The more buzz there is about Peter and the tour, the better.
Second, you can help find good tour locations. Talk to your local theater. Find out if they have a 2K digital projection system and would be willing to let Peter meet fans and sign books in their lobby. If you get a positive response, let us know via the contact info at the top of this page.
Finally, you can tell us if you’d like to volunteer. Positions are limited, but we are going to need local help before and during each show — help with advance promotion, unloading and reloading, working the sales table, advice on places to eat and accommodations…a whole host of things. So if you’d like to become part of the tour instead of just attending it, let us know! (Chris Rickert is the Tour Team member managing the volunteer side of the operation. You can reach her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
CANADA (AND CINEPLEX) FOR THE WIN IN APRIL-MAY 2014!
Because the turnout was so strong for our recent shows in Langley and Richmond, British Columbia, the Cineplex theater chain (Canada’s largest) has agreed to back a coast-to-coast LAST UNICORN screening run covering ALL of Canada. Details are still be worked out, but we expect to hit at least 20-25 different theaters in as many cities as possible. Part of the run will include three days at Fan Expo in Vancouver, where we hope to make Peter’s 75th birthday an even bigger bash than last year’s tour premiere in San Francisco.
SOME THINGS YOU JUST HAVE TO DO
While we were in Seattle we got email from a mother in Boise, Idaho, hoping we could bring the tour there before her terminally-ill 10 year-old daughter passed away, which the doctors expected to be sometime next spring. The girl’s name was Lula Coe. We immediately got in touch and made plans to add a Boise show in January. Two days later, however, Lula was hospitalized for an emergency procedure that she had barely survived. Her doctors now gave her only 4-6 weeks.
Our next day had been scheduled as a day off. We scrapped that and, after finishing our Eugene show, drove all night to Boise instead, getting there around dawn. There we put on a special screening for Lula, her family, and their supporters, and convened afterward at Rediscovered Books so Peter could do a reading and meet with folks before spending the rest of the evening with Lula. After a nap, we drove all night to be back in Portland for our scheduled shows there. Special thanks to the Edwards Cinema 22 for lending us a movie screen on barely 24 hours notice, and to Rediscovered Books for throwing a terrific full-blown author event just 18 hours after being called out of the blue.
What happened in Boise was amazing. We’re never going to forget Lula, her family, or the amazing people who came together to make this happen. To learn more and see a local news video about the day, click here.